Saturday, January 3, 2009

Rooted Deep

Psalm 37:7 Be still in the presence of the
Lord,
and wait patiently for him to act. (NLT)



My sweet friend, Lisa asked "What is your ancohor verse for 2009?" What a great question, which was asked by her friend, Elaine.

So, I've asked the Lord for my anchor verse. Now, I have never done this before, I mean, to have one verse that I would meditate on for this entire year, it’s new to me. But sure enough…ask and you shall receive.

Yesterday as I was visiting my local Christian bookstore, I went over to the area were all the pictures are displayed, which I very seldom do. I began to read the verses that were under each of the pictures and I noticed there was one verse in particular that stood out…Psalm 37:7.

As my eyes continued to scan the pictures, I saw this same verse three more times and that when I knew this was my anchor verse. I remembered several months ago, coming across this same verse and like a good bible student; I meditated on it for a short time and then moved on.

But yesterday, God made it clear to me that this verse was to take root in my heart and I was to wait eagerly for an answer.

That's when I started thinking, was my time with the Lord becoming like the pharaohs? Was I,like them reading the scriptures,quoting the scriptures,and even acting out the scriptures... but to believe the scriptures?

Yes, the pharaohs knew the Word but the Word hadn’t taken root in their hearts.

Was I being lured away from God’s promises? Was I looking at the circumstances, instead of believing in the promises?

Father God,
I must confess that I’ve desired to take a hold of situations that are out of my control. My life in these last few months has appeared to be “all together.” An attitude of “I know God is in control” but my heart has a mind-set of unbelief.

God, forgive me.

Lord, I want your Word to deeply root itself in my heart. To know when days of doubt come…to be still and know you are God! Amen

Tammy

17 comments:

Kelly said...

Don't you love it when God makes something so clear by showing it to us again and again. I will begin looking for an anchor verse for myself. I saw Edie did this also, so thanks gals for the idea!

Karen said...

Wonderful post and a beautiful scripture! How marvelous it is when our Lord makes something crystal clear in the midst of everyday busyness.

Sheryl said...

Scripture is going to play a huge role in my life this year as well. Praying that I finish strong.

Loved your verse and how God shows up - actually He is always there but we just need to look.

Unknown said...

I need to go and find an anchor verse.

LisaShaw said...

Dear friend,

The Lord is GOOD! The two Scriptures He gave to me for 2009 have really been coming alive since I received them from Him and I can see that He is doing the same in your life.

When we are anchored in the Word we will see opportunities to pray, to seek to do His will, to repent for areas we are failing, and we desire to share Him with others so they too can become anchored.

I love and admire you Tammy -- your transparency in Christ is breath taking!!!!!!!!

Racquel Simone said...

Tammy,
Thanks for stopping by my blog, I am so glad I visited yours today because the post that you have up is exactly what I needed to read! The promises of God are yea and amen....we must never forget, and never be moved by what is seen, for we know that He who is unseen is at work, on our behalf always! My anchor verse is Jeremiah 29:11- For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

Van said...

Just wanderin' around this afternoon and dropped by. Waiting on the Lord has been the journey of the last decade. HE has so much to show us in His Wait Room. For sure He gives us strength to lift the heavy waits. I know - lots of word play, but it makes sense. Blessings in this New Year.

Joyfulsister said...

Hi Tammy,
Thanks for sharing your precious scripture that the Lord put upon your heart. Thank you for your words of encouragement you are a blessing my sistah!!

Hugz Lorie

Paula V said...

Wow...I am always surprisely amazed when I see scripture that has previously spoken to me also. I have to admit for whatever reason some months back I added Ps. 37:7a on my list of scripture I wanted to remember. I'm not sure why I only added the "a" beginning. I also memorized it in NIV:

7a Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him;
7bdo not fret when men succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes.

I should've added the latter because the trial of the last 18 months really is about someone in my life apparently succeeding at what they've done. I just hate to relate the word wicked with this person. Or anyone, really.

Jody said...

I needed direction for the year too, so I'm meditating on Colossians 1:28-29. Becoming more like Christ and proclaiming His name. And asking God's forgiveness from the "image of always having it all together". I'm a pastor's wife!!

Sherri Watt said...

Tammy,

Thanks for this post. Anchor verse, never heard of it but I am going to pray for mine.

Hugs!

Edie said...

I love this scripture Tammy. It's such a wonderful confirmation when God will chase us around with a scripture. It's just amazing that He wants to give us a very personl word directly from His heart to ours. That is so awesome.

Rick said...

Hello Tammy, Forgive my boldness but I am doing a bit of blog surfing to invite people over to my blog to sign up for my giveaway I have going on. This isn't some kind of gimmick. It's just my way of celebrating two years of blogging. I am giving away a free caricature drawn by me. I'd be honored if you took the time to check it out.

Shauna said...

~HAPPY NEW YEAR~ Just wanted to remind you the Happy New Year offer ends Mon. Jan. 5th at noon for the free 8x10 print. Spread the word for people to post and e-mail David Bowman by then :) Have a beautiful Sunday! ♥ Hugs! Shauna

My name is Bonnie, said...

Hi Tammy! I gave you an award on my blog in honor of your cultural and ethical and personal values! Come pick it up!

Much love,
Bonnie
extendedhope.com

LisaShaw said...

Stopped back by to say, Please come on over to my Speak on it with LisaS to receive an AWARD that I'd like to present to you.

Shanita Waters said...

Hi Tammy! Great post. My anchor verse in 2008 was Romans 8:28. I was just shraing with my hubby that I needed a "new verse" this year. I have never heard the term "anchor verse" used but I understand fully why it is called that. Romans 8:28 kept me grounded many times when I felt, angry, hurt or burdened by things that were out of my control. Through that verse and meditating on it I learned that EVERYTHING was working for my good because I loved God and things weren't as difficult to bear knowing that.

Blessings!
Shanita