Saturday, November 14, 2009

Lies Women Believe...

Let's talk about Priorities in Lies Women Believe and the Truth That Set Them Free by Nancy Leigh DeMoss.


All quotes are in blue from the author Nancy Leigh DeMoss.


1. I don't have time to do everything I'm supposed to do.
2. I can make it without consistent time in the Word and prayer.
3. A career outside the home is more valuable and fulfilling than being a wife and mother.

For the longest time, my priorities were completely out of order. First came my career, the dance studio, and  everything else took a backseat. My marriage suffered with one ending in divorce and another about too. There was more times, then I would like to admit, of being out of town because of a dance competition. My career so important to me that I was willing to miss my son's birthdays. It's pretty sad wishing your son "Happy Birthday" on the phone and telling him you wish that you could be there, while on the other end he's crying " Its okay, Mommy." I had no time for my family and no time for God.

Satan knows that if he succeeds in getting us to live independently of the Word of God, we become more vulnerable to deception in every area of our lives.

Instead of the normal layout, God lead me in a different direction. He brought me to Luke 10:38-42  the famous sisters, Mary and Martha. As I was reading, I thought what if Martha had taken a few minutes at the feet of Jesus. Things might have gone smoother and Mary, most likely would've been by her side helping with the meal.
Martha could have removed the pots from the fire, they would've stayed warm. She could have covered the rolls with a piece of cloth to keep in the heat, then joined her sister at the feet of Jesus. But instead, she worried about getting every thing done, with no help from Mary, of course. She became so agitated, she even came to Jesus saying "Lord, doesn't it seem unfair to you that my sister just sits here while I do all the work?" Was she as implying that what Mary was doing was unimportant?  Maybe she was asking for permission to put "her" priorities before Him.

I love what Jesus says to her " My dear Martha, you are so upset over all these details! There is really only one thing worth being concerned about. Mary has discovered it — and I won't take it away from her."

What are the priorities in your life?

Are you consumed by the things of this world? Are you serving the Lord but have become  more focused on the details?

The things that consume us will only cause frustration, and worry when we put our priorities before His. True peace comes when your heart has been prepared by your Maker.

The Truth is, it is impossible for me to be the woman He wants me to be apart from my spending consistent time cultivating a relationship with Him, in the Word and prayer.

Tammy

No comments: