Monday, December 24, 2007

Have you ever?

Have you ever had someone who spoke words that gave you hope?
This morning during my time with God he reminded me of a woman who I will call Doreen. She was a client of mine back when I worked in a nail salon. Every 4th week Doreen would come to the salon to relax and get pampered. Our conversation would start out with "how have you been?" or "do you have any plans for the weekend?" After a few minutes of listening politely to what had been going on in her life, I would then begin to complain about my family life. Like how miserable I was being married and how my daughter wouldn't listen to me at all. When I now think about all the nasty things I would say (while I proclaimed I was a christian)it must have made her sick at heart. She had a relationship with Jesus. Many times she would speak truth to me. I didn't not realize then but I now know that she was planting seeds.
My life has changed so much since our talks at the salon. My husband and I have been married for 20 years and my relationship with my daughter has been renewed. I haven't seen Doreen for quite sometime but I am very thankful for the words that she spoke to me. For encouraging me to read my bible, spend time with God and go to church even when I didn't feel like it. I know that she prayed for my family and me. That we would find the hope and contentment only God could give us.
So, when someone who feels that life is unfair begins to share their story with me, I listen and pray. I ask God to give me the words that He wants me to speak to her. To encourage her to press on and not give up because you never know when that blessing is about to happen.

1 comment:

Lelia Chealey said...

Hi Tammy!
I'm so glad you visited my blog. I love what you said about your husband & daughter getting the tree & thinking it was beautiful & your thought was how small. My oldest, Alyssa who will turn 18 on Saturday actually orchestrated decorating for Christmas this year. This teenager hasn't been interested in helping for a few years now so it was very excting & shocking to me at the same time. This one thing she did was put a Christmas dish towel on our living room coffee table with this ugly glass candle holder with candles & a paper weight in it. Okay...had to bite my tongue from saying "What is this?" to "Honey, that's pretty?" As her Mom, knowing that her time under our roof is growing lesser everyday then I'd rather have an ugly table decoration than a helper with hurt feelings because we just can't take back those words. So my sweet sister, make sure you tell your little one how much you enjoyed the beautiful little tree she picked out when you take it down soon. ;)
I also read through some of your posts & loved them. Keep posting. Nice to meet you & I'll be back to read some more of your thoughts.
Because of His Grace~
Lelia Chealey