Tuesday, January 8, 2008

God had planned it all

I have been volunteering at a pregnancy crisis center for almost 2 years. I remember God asking me to give up some of my personal time, now that our daughter was in high school. When I first offered my services I was just going to answer the phone. Now to be perfectly honest with you answering the phone was not something I felt comfortable doing. But by answering the phone it meant I didn't have to get too close to the clients.

I always thought that I could never have the compassion or mercy to interact with the young women who came into the center. I felt "well, you made your bed now slept in it." Within a few month I was asked if I could work in the boutique about once month. I said "yes" but with hesitation because that meant I would have to talk to the girls as their were shopping for baby items. I remember one young girl I was talking to in particular. She began to tell me about her life, dreams and the future that she wanted for her children. The more we talked, the more I wanted to get to know her.

Not long after that her mentor was leaving and the program director asked me if I would like to try mentoring her. I knew without a doubt that God had planned it all and He was about to soften another piece of my heart.

2 comments:

MrsProverbs31 said...

I followed you from Rachel's blog. I don't have an answer for your question there. But, I know that the God of Grace does not give up on us easily. You are blessed, and that's the truth. What's more important now is that you asked for forgiveness and found peace.

frontrowseat said...

I love it, Tammy! I love watching how God sucks you in more and more at the center ... bit by bit so you don't get scared and leave. :) He is truly using you there.
~karen